Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership Development – Registration opening soon for the 2023/2024 cohort.
Viterbo University’s Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership Development (CNLD) prepares you to become a better nonprofit partner as well as a more valuable contributor to the broader La Crosse community.
Through real-world case studies, small group discussions and interactive presentations, CNLD will help you approach your nonprofit duties with a better understanding of how nonprofits function and the issues they face in today’s complex environment. You will gain a deeper understanding of how effective nonprofits and their boards function, and will be able to incorporate broader strategic considerations into your nonprofit work. CNLD provides the tools and insight you will need to contribute at a higher level and spend your time providing forward-thinking leadership.
Who should attend?
- Nonprofit staff and administrators (most appropriate for those with 1-5 years of service)
- People interested in volunteering for nonprofit board service
- Newer board members looking to develop a broader understanding of board functions and responsibilities
- Church board members, staff, and administrators
- Experienced board members looking to sharpen their skills, recharge their commitment to board service, and connect with like-minded individuals who face common issues
Participants who complete the full Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership Development program will be armed with the knowledge they need to make well-reasoned decisions, comfortably navigate ever-complex legal and regulatory issues, and effectively carry out the duties of a fiduciary or trustee. Those who complete the program will be better suited for leadership roles.
The CNLD is comprised of nine workshops and will meet on the second Thursday of each month, September through May, from 8:00 am-12:00 pm on the Viterbo University Campus. Light refreshments will be served from 8:00-8:30 am.
Curriculum & Facilitators
Sessions will be led by nonprofit community experts and Viterbo faculty members. Each participant will also be matched with a local nonprofit expert mentor who they will meet with periodically throughout the program to assist them with completion of a self-guided capstone project.
- Session 1: Legal Issues, Ethics and Values in the NPO Sector
- Session2: Leadership is Who You Are
- Session 3: NPO Boards and Governance
- Session 4: Financial Management
- Session 5: Fundraising and Revenue Development
- Session 6: Inclusion Strategies for NPOs
- Session 7: Organizational Development, Program Performance Measurement and Evaluation
- Session 8: Human Resources
- Session 9: Capstone Presentations & Celebration Banquet
In order to receive a Certificate of Completion, participants need to attend no less than seven of the first eight sessions, participate in a pre-program self-assessment exercise, and select and complete a self-guided capstone project under the guidance of a mentor.
Cost & Scholarships
Total cost for the full Certificate is $1,400, and can be paid one session at a time at $155/each. Some of the sessions will be available a la carte for $175/each. Recognizing nonprofit budgets and volunteers often don’t have room to support the costs of professional development, we are happy to announce partial to full scholarships will be available.
Scholarship applications will be released later this Spring. Recipients will be notified of awards by the end of July. Preference for awards will be given to people seeking the full Certificate who serve or are interested in serving nonprofit organizations serving historically excluded communities and can demonstrate financial need. Selection will be done by an independent committee NOT including La Crosse Community Foundation representatives. The total available for 2023/2024 cohort scholarships is $15,000.
Registration for the 2023/2024 cohort will open later this Spring. Participation will be limited to 25 individuals; there is no limit for individual session registrations. Please plan to register even if your participation is dependent on a scholarship award so we can hold your spot if an award is available.
Questions? Contact Nicole Van Art at Viterbo at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 608-796-3616.