The Hixon House located at 429 7th St. North in La Crosse was built for Gideon and Ellen Hixon in 1858. Gideon was an entrepreneur of many talents, starting out in the lumber industry and then expanding into banking and politics. The Hixon House and its furnishings were gifted to the La Crosse County Historical Society in the early 1960’s by Alice Green Hixon. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and remains a prominent piece of our community’s history and popular tourist destination. An endowed fund will ensure the Hixon House remains financially supported for future generations.